Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day #1 - Flaming June

Day #1 of my Ultimate Crazy January Challenge is my first new cross stitch of the new year, my first HAED, my first time using 25 ct evenweave, my first time using continental tent stitch (2 over 1), my first time gridding, my first time parking threads, and my first time stitching a full coverage pattern!  Whew!  I had no idea what I was doing with the gridding, and I pulled it out several times and started over.  I only finished 2 squares for a total of 200 stitches.

Of course, I wanted to stitch all day on this one, but you can see I only stitched for about 2 hours.  The reason for my late start is because I spent all day at the Los Angeles Zoo today!  It was a beautiful New Year's Day here in Sunny Southern California with temperatures in the 80s.  Here is a pic I took with my cell phone of a giraffe:

17 comments:

gracie said...

Love the picture of Flaming June! Nice way to spend NY day at the zoo....

Lesleyanne said...

Great new start. Sounds like you had a great day at the zoo.

sharine said...

What a beautiful choice for your first HAED. Great start.

Claudette497 said...

I have Flaming June too, but from another designer. Good for you trying so many new things on the first day of the year!

Shelleen said...

nice start. The giraffe is cute.

Kath said...

I've never done a HAED (they seem so intimidating!) but that's a lovely one that you've picked. Nice start! :)

Unknown said...

Great start Debbie and perfect for the first project, with so many firsts I think its very apt, looking forward to seeing more.

Linda said...

Great start on the HAED. Your cell phone takes a great picture. Love the giraffe.

Linda

Mia said...

A great start :) Good luck with all the first timers :D
Oh how I wish I could be there with all the sun and warmth!

Ranae said...

Great start
It will be a joy to see the progress on the pretty design
Happy stitchy 2012

Jan Gartlan said...

I love your HAED. Well done on your start. I started my first HAED 2 months ago and it's slowly growing. I look forward to following your progress.

BeckySC said...

Debbie, so happy you joined the BAP challenge :) Good luck to you and I certainly look forward to watching your progress :)

Shelley said...

That is an abitious piece! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Teresa S. said...

I am totally in awe that you would pick this design!!

It is gorgeous but makes Paradise Lost look like an ugly stepsister.

After reading your post, I think this one might be a first for you in many ways??
he, he, he :)

chrisstitches said...

great start on the lady....
love the giraffe pic
looks like you will be busy with projects.

ricketyjo said...

I'm planning to start my first HAED this year too... good luck with it! :)

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Lovely start such an ambitious project. I'll be starting my first HAED this year.