Sunday, January 13, 2013

Always read the directions!

I always follow the directions in everything I do, or at least I thought I did!  I started Hummingbird by Teresa Wentzler last year for Day #3 of the UCJC 2012.  You can find the free chart HERE.  The flowers and leaves are stitched over 2, and the hummingbird will be stitched over 1.  I finished all the flowers and leaves and was just about to start the backstitching, when I realized that it was supposed to be stitched using 4 strands of floss and not just 2!  The hummingbird will use only 2 strands.  So I stitched over the flowers and leaves all over again with 2 more strands, to make a total of 4.  I didn't want to rip everything out and start over!  I'm making this for me so I don't mind if it's not perfect.  Can you tell the difference by using 2 strands and 4 strands?

Hummingbird update #3

10 comments:

Kat said...

I'm glad you could fix the problem without having to frog it all. It looks way nicer with the four strands. I might have to stitch this pattern.

StitchyDon said...

I think it looks great !! No one but you (and us!!!!) will know !!

Linda said...

Geez Debbie, nothing like having to stitch the same design twice. At least you didn't have to rip it out. I think it looks great with the 4 strands and you can tell the difference. Makes it fuller.

Linda

Heather said...

4 strands makes a big difference! Your solution seems to have worked well.

Jennifer M. said...

This looks great! Quick thinking about stitching 2 strands over the 2 strands already stitched. :)

Jen

Annette-California said...

Yes I can see the difference between the 2. But I clicked on each photo to look up close. If you didn't mention it, I would not of noticed. You did a good job of adding 2 more threads. The coverage does look much better. Today, myself, I had followed a pattern that had me stitch 4 cross-stitches on top of each other for a special textured look. Who would of known..... love Annette

Lija Broka said...

Yes. The colour tends to be more solid, and a lot more threads get used up. One of my UFOs (that in my defence I started with small experience) uses 4! Now after using 2 it is such a pain to go back ... it might stay in a box another year [sigh]. The stitching looks great!

Meari said...

I think it looks good!

Anonymous said...

It looks much bolder with 4 strands which is nice. I think it looks great!

Cindy said...

4 strands does look thicker, but it look pretty either way!